Born 1964, West Palm Beach, Florida
Lives and works in Lebanon, PA
[ EDUCATION ]
|1995|| MFA, University of Tennessee (Knoxville)|
|1986-88|| Post Baccalaureate, University of Florida (Gainesville)|
|1986|| BFA, University of Florida (Gainesville)|
|1984|| Richmond College-Kensington Campus, London|
[ AWARDS ]
Artist Residency, A Studio in the Woods, New Orleans, LA
Finalist, Public Art Commission, Public Art for Public Schools
Program, Department of Education, City of New York, Department
of Cultural Affairs, NY.
Artist-in-Residency, Sculpture Space, Utica, NY
Nominee, Emerging Artist Award, Bureau of Cultural Affairs,
Nominee, Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation Award
Public Art Commision, Airport Art Program, Hartsfield Atlanta
International Airport, Concourse E
Artist's Grant, Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, VT
Friends of Arrowmont Scholarship, Arrowmont School of Arts
and Crafts, Gatlinburg, TN
Materials and Jurors Awards, Variety of Visions, Ewing Gallery,
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
Buck Ewing Graduate Scholarship, The University of Tennessee,
[ SOLO EXHIBITIONS ]
- Susquehanna Museum of Art, Harrisburg, PA.
- "Natural Phenomena," Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA.
- "Fruiting Bodies," Cheekwood Botanical Garden
and Museum of Art, Nashville, TN
- "Caught Up," Pentimenti Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- "A World Within A World," Solomon Projects, Atlanta, GA
- "The Dark Side of Beauty," Albany Museum of Art, Albany, GA
- "After Life," Solomon Projects, Atlanta, GA
- "Underpinnings," Solomon Projects, Atlanta, GA
- "Karen Rich Beall," Spartanburg County Museum of Art, Spartenburg, SC
- "He loves me, He loves me not," Project Row Houses, Houston, TX
- "The Shining Daffodil Dead," Obscura Gallery, Portland, OR
- "The Living Will," Ewing Gallery, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- "The Shining Daffodil Dead," Gallery 1010, Knoxville,TN
- "Identity Revisited," Belleza Salon, Knoxville, TN
[ SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS ]
- Solomon Projects, Atlanta, GA
- "21st Century Landscape Reconstructing Identity," Bank of America Plaza, Charlotte, NC
- "Garden Improvement," Wave Hill, Bronx, NY
- "So Atlanta," Atlanta Contemporary Art Center, Atlanta, GA
- "Running Rampant," Fe Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA
- "Tender Landscape," The Dalton Gallery, Agnes Scott College, Decatur, GA
- "Metamorphosis," John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Sheboygan, WI
- "Ooey Gooey," DiRT, Los Angeles, CA
- "Fathoming," Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art, Winston-Salem, NC
- "Georgia Triennial," City Gallery East, Atlanta; Georgia Museum of Arts and Sciences, Macon, GA; Telfair MuseuT?m of Art, Savannah, GA; Albany Museum of Art, Albany, GA
- "Out There: The Off-Center Vision of Six Atlanta Artists," Atlanta Contemporary Art Center, Atlanta, GA
- "Georgia Crossroads: Intersections in a Changing Landscape," Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art, Marietta, GA (brochure)
- "Towards the Organic," Jacksonville Museum of Modern Art, Jacksonville, FL (brochure)
- "House and Garden: Twists on Domesticity," Space One Eleven, Birmingham, AL (brochure)
- "Do It," Atlanta College of Art Gallery, Atlanta, GA
- "Karen Rich Beall and Judi Werthein," Moody Gallery, Houston, TX
- "Karen Rich Beall and Gregor Turk," Biggin Hall Gallery, Auburn University, AL
- "Unraveled," City Gallery at Chastain, Atlanta, GA (catalogue)
- "Gilded Lilies: Recent Works by Kenson Pound, Karen Rich Beall, and Christy Hansford Baker," Swan Coach House Gallery, Atlanta
- "Atlanta Biennial," Nexus Contemporary Arts Center, Atlanta, GA
- "Departures in Portraiture," Peachtree Lofts Gallery, Atlanta, GA
- "Small Wonders," CEPA Gallery, Buffalo, NY
- "Art and Science," The Mariboe Gallery, The Peddie School, Hightstown, NJ
- "Florida National 1996," Museum of Fine Arts, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL (catalogue)
- "The Body," Pyramid Arts Center, Rochester, MI
- "Sum of Its Parts," Paint Creek Center for the Arts, Rochester, MI
- "'95 Juried Exhibition," Soho 20, New York, NY
- "Variety of Visions," Ewing Gallery, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- "A Site Specific Installation of Nine Artists," OT?ld City/Inner Space, Knoxville, TN
- "Form and Forum," Ewing Gallery, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- "Women Artists," The Printer's Mark, Knoxville, TN
[ BIBLIOGRAPHY ]
Kuntz, Melissa. "A Fe Gallery show finds new directions
for clay," Pittsburgh City Paper, April 10.
Strauss, R.B. "Art in August," University City REVIEW,
Juriga, Vanessa. "Karen Rich Beall: Caught Up: Duality
and the Spider's Web," More Cowbell, Summer.
Marx, Jonathan. "Organic forms inspire Cheekwood show," The
Tennesssean, August, p.45.
Johnson, Ken. "Odes to Nature, Grand and Demure, at Two Bronx
gardens," The New York Times, July 14.
Byrd, Cathy. "Karen Rich beall at Solomon Projects," Art
In America, December, p.153.
Fox, Catherine. "Small world: nature manifests its metaphoric
side." The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, July 5, p.
Turri, Scott. "Running Rampant," Dialogue, May/June,
Cochran, Rebecca Dimling. "Karen Rich Beall: Natural Dualities,"
Sculpture, November, p. 20-21.
Reckitt, Helena. "The Dark Side of Beauty," exhibition catalogue,
Albany Museum of Art, Albany, Georgia.
Cross Sections News Magazine, Crossroads School, Santa
Monica, CA, Spring (cover).
Klimchak, Arme. "Fathoming," Sculpture, January/February,
Millet, Ann. "Fathoming," Sculpture, January/February, p.
Myers, Holly. "Ooey Gooey," Los Angeles Times, October
Fox, Cathy. "Human Nature," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution,
May 31, p.Q6.
Feaster, Felicia. "Unnatural Deflection," Creative Loafing,
June 5-11, p.59.
Byrd, Cathy. "Usual Suspects," Creative Loafing, April
Cullum, Jerry. "Six artists show what's 'Out There' in plain
sight," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, April 19,
Fox, Cathy. "The Art of the State," The Atlanta Journal
Constitution, April 12, p.1 & p.4.
Georgia Triennial 2002/2003 (catalogue). Telfair Museum of
Art, Savannah, GA , p.11-12.
Reckitt, Helena, narrator and Corone, Angela, producer. "Studio
Visit," Public Radio, WABE, Atlanta, JanuarT?y 3.
Cullum, Jerry. "Hot Spots: Georgia," Art Papers, July-August,
Fox, Catherine. "Capturing Georgia," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution,
July 13, p. Q8.
Hall, Marjorie. "Crossroads: New exhibit looks at Georgia's
landscape," Marietta Daily Journal, June 22, p. 1D
Tully, John. "Towards the Organic, mixes material with messages",
Folio Weekly, Jacksonville, January 31, 2001.
Byrd, Cathy. "Karen Rich Beall, Solomon Projects" Sculpture,
Fox, Cathy. "From Elton John to Jellyfish, a Feast for the
Eyes," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, December 10,
Byrd, Cathy. "Following Directions," Creative Loafing,
Moos, David. "Twists on Domesticity," brochure, Space One
Eleven, Birmingham, AL, September.
Anspon, Catherine D. "Art á la Carte," Papercity,
Fox, Catherine. "Beall Knows Dual Nature of Beauty," The
Atlanta Journal-Constitution, March 17, p. Q8.
Byrd, Cathy. "Women's Work," Creative Loafing, June
19, p. 37-38.
Davis, Allison. "Gilded Lilies: Swan Coach House Gallery hosts
exhibit of local artists," The Northside Neighbor,
Cullum, Jerry. "Entering a garden of insights," The Atlanta
Journal-Constitution, September 18: Q8.
Fox, Catherine. "Making a point: Sense of humor permeates
crafters' works," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution,
August 7: Q8.
Bernat, Robin. "Unraveled," Art Papers, January/February:
Feaster Felicia. "Shrinking Violets Prettiness reigns at Gilded
Lilies," Creative Loafing, October 3.
Resnicow, Ruth. "Studio Visit: Karen Rich Beall," Art Papers,
January/February: p. 38-40 (illustrated).
Lamb, Rebecca. "fresh art," Atlanta Press, September
Byrd, Cathy. "Departures in Portraiture," Art Papers,
September-October: p. 42.
T?Cullum, Jerry. "1997 Atlanta Biennial," Art Papers,
Easley, Michael. "The body exhibited," Pyramid Newsletter,
"In Three Dimensions: Women Sculptors of the 90's" (catalogue),
Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art, Snug Harbor Cultural
Center: Women's Caucus for Art/NYC Chapter, p. 90.
Church, Susan. "Salon's exhibition allows artist and clients
to revisit identities," The Knoxville News Sentinel,
November 30 (photograph).